Are You Accountable?

Many times when we are presented with a new idea, whether it be a new company target, friend/family request, or group goal, it is often stated as in the subject of "we". Two such examples would be "we can make a difference together", or "we can accomplish this goal".

The question is: Does the word "we" have and advantage or disadvantage versus using the words "I" or "you" when it comes to accountability.

The answer: Absolutely Yes, Yes, Yes!

The biggest problem with stating things in the "we" mentality is that it excludes the "I", "you", and "me" from the accountability side of the equation.

The word "we", suddenly becomes the perfect justification for the excuse of "if 'I' don't do it, where it is a job for 'we' or 'us', then I bet somebody else will pick up the ball."

The following short story describes what really happens when we turn our heads and cop out from personal accountability.

This story is about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody.

There was an important job to be done, and Everybody was sure Somebody would do it.

Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.

Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job.

Everybody thought Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it.

It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

Are you picking up balls and running with them regardless of who "owns" the problem. If they are on your team then why not?

Excerpted from Mel Gil's book "Uncommon Sense" below is a list of personal accountability excuses to be aware. Try to avoid using any of them as they are all poor excuses for not completing a job and the more often you catch yourself using them, the more aware and accountable you will become.

1. I'll try
2. If ____ then ______
3. I forgot
4. It's not my fault
5. I had no choice
6. I can't
7. I had no control
8. I'll wait and see
9. I don't know
10. It's not my job
11. That's the way I am
12. Nobody told me

No comments:

The Wonder of You

Deepak Chopra explores the mystery of your body in its growth from a single cell to a symphony of activities guided by an inner intelligence that mirrors the wisdom of the universe. - Featuring Deepak Chopra Author, Buddha: A Story of Enlightenment

Nassim Haramein: Unified Field Theory

If you only watch just one science talk you have to listen to this one. If you are not yet familiar with Nassim Haramein's exciting work, prepare yourself for an exhilarating odyssey into hyperspace and beyond.